At PayPal Gambling we do what we can to provide up to date and useful information for gamblers across Australia. However, we’re only one site, and there is a lot of information to cover. So, if you want to read more about online pokies, sports betting, racing, casinos and gambling in general, then check the links below. We use all of these sites ourselves, and there is information here that all Aussie gamblers need to know:
- Problem Gambling: This is the go-to resource for problem gambling in Australia, where gambling addiction is at its highest. This is simply because Australians gamble more than any other nationality, and when you gamble more, you lose more. Gambling is ingrained in our society and it’s something that many of us do on a regular basis. For most of us, it’s harmless. It’s an occasional, casual act that does not have any affect on our lives. However, for others it is something much worse, and gambling can cause serious social and financial problems, not to mention the damage that it can do to families and careers. Luckily, organisations like Problem Gambling are here to help. If you suspect you might have a problem, if you know you have a problem and want help, or if you simply want to read-up on the dangers of gambling addiction, as well as its prevalence in Australia, then this is the place to do it.
- The ACT Gambling and Racing Commission: There are different organisations for different sports, games and states in Australia, and the ACT Gambling and Racing Commission deals with horse racing and other forms of gambling, both offline and online. The ACT Gambling and Racing Commission was founded back in 1999 and operates under a legal code that governs what they are allowed and not allowed to do. If you want to establish any sort of gambling enterprise in this country, then you may need to go through these guys first. If so, be prepared for a lot of strict regulations and codes of practice.
- Interactive Gambling Act of 2001: This is the ultimate act regarding online gambling, and all forms of “interactive gambling” here in Australia. As the name suggests, it was created in 2001, prior to which online gambling pretty much operated under the same laws as traditional gambling. This act covers all of Australia, and not just individual states, which is the case with many other gambling acts in this country’s law book. If you want to know where you stand as a gambler and as a gambling organisation, if you want to know what you can and can not do, then this is the act to read. Just be prepared to work your way through a lot of text, not all of which makes much sense.
- Gambling and Lotteries: This organisation deals with lotteries and a few other gambling games in Australia. Lotteries are usually viewed in a different light to traditional gambling games, as they are low-cost, they carry a low-risk for addiction, and the profits they generate are often used to help the community in which they operate. Historically, lotteries have faced fewer restrictions and regulations than other gambling games, and that applies across the world, and not just here in Australia. As a result, lotteries are one of the most relaxed gambling games in the country where regulations are concerned, and these are the guys making sure of that.
- Gambling Help Online: Like the Problem Gambling organisation mentioned above, the purpose of this website is to assist those who have an issue with gambling. There are actually many such organisations throughout Australia, which is no surprise when you consider that there are more problem gamblers in this country than there are in any other. This is a great resource if you have an issue or you think you may be developing an issue. Problem gambling is not to be underestimated, so even if you think that you don’t gamble enough money to be addicted, or that your game of choice is not “hardcore” enough, it’s worth checking this site out to see where you stand.
- The Guardian: This is one of the pieces that exposed the wider world to the issue that Australia has with gambling. Of course, to most Aussies, this is not really an issue. It’s just the way that it is and the way that it has been for a long time. But there are those, both inside and outside of the country, who are getting worried about how much we gamble, and news of those figures are spreading around the world. This particular piece was published in one of the biggest newspapers in Europe, and is one of the best reports on the gambling situation in Australia.