PayPal is convenient, quick and widely available, which is why it is one of the best ways to gamble on sports in Australia. We love a little sports betting Down Under, and there is no shortage of sites willing to take our money and offer us a wealth of features in return.
Why Use PayPal to Bet on Sports?
PayPal is one of the most popular payment methods in Australia, way ahead of instant bank transfers and many other banking options. PayPal is preferred because of its speed, its ease-of-use and the fact that the majority of online stores, casinos and sports books accept it.
Whether you’re a high roller or a small stakes player, PayPal provides you with all of the following benefits:
- Credit: PayPal Credit is one of those credit providers that seems too good to be true, but it most definitely is true. There are no credit checks, no red marks on your credit report, and you can borrow over $1,000 directly into your PayPal account to do with as you please.
- Fees: Many credit cards will charge you fees, and services like Skrill can also be costly when withdrawing back to your bank. PayPal’s fees are minimal though, and in most cases you won’t pay anything unless you make a currency conversion when withdrawing your money.
- Speed: PayPal is one of the only methods that allows you to get your winnings into your account in a matter of hours. Payments are actually instant, and most sports books will initiate them instantly as well.
PayPal Sports Betting Tips
Before we zero-in on the best PayPal sports books, let’s take a look at some tips and tricks to help you get more from these sites and this payment service:
- Bankroll: PayPal is a great bankrolling tool. You can move all of your gambling money into this account at the beginning of the bankrolling period and you can make sure you do not deposit more from that point on. If you then set deposit limits on the sports books then you can ensure that your bankrolling remains tight and stable and that you don’t let impulsivity or recklessness take over.
- Bank Account: You will need to add a funding method to your account and you will also need to verify with another method. The best and quickest way to deal with this is to add a bank account. That will verify the account, it will allow you to withdraw instantly and it will also ensure that you avoid credit card fees that would otherwise be charged if you added a credit card instead.
- Direct Debit: If you check your Direct Debits and you have a verified PayPal account then you will notice that the last transaction you made will show up as a recurring direct debit. This causes many customers to go into a panic and to cancel it. But this is just for the record and there is no actual direct debit in place. It’s there to prove your account is verified and to keep a connection open. What’s more, if you cancel it then you will be spending the next couple weeks dealing with customer support and trying to undo the problems you caused.
PayPal Sportsbooks to Avoid
There was a time when the best PayPal sports book was BetFair, because back then it was one of the only ones that offered PayPal and allowed Australian players to join. But BetFair faded somewhat. It stopped being as reliable, it stopped processing payments as quickly.
More sports books jumped on the PayPal bandwagon and when they did, they made BetFair’s setup look amateurish at best. These days, BetFair is actually one of the worst PayPal sports books, and it’s one we would never recommend.
You should also not put too much emphasis on the bigger and most well known sports books. In our experience these are the ones that will make your life difficult with every withdrawal. They will insist that you wait at least 24 hours before they even contemplate processing it, and they will often ask you to go through an ID verification check.
These days, thanks to software that lets them check your name against official records, there is just no need for these checks. It’s frustrating as a player to have to go through them and it’s almost like the sports books are forcing you through this process in order to waste your time.
The Best PayPal Sports Betting Sites
While we can not recommend BetFair, there are many others that we would recommend. To see these, just look at the banners displayed at the top of this site and mentioned on the main page. We don’t link to any old sports books and casinos. We always link to the ones that offer the best services to Australians and the ones that offer the widest range of quality banking options.
Some of the best PayPal sports books out there are smaller sister sites to larger brands, as well as brand new sites. They are still regulated and they are still official, but they understand the importance of speed and they use instant withdrawals to give them the edge over their bigger and more established competitors.
One of the best things about playing on a sports book is being able to withdraw your money one minute and have it in your bank the next. These sports books—which you can find listed throughout this site—offer that feature, but many of the bigger ones do not.